Fear and Roaming in Interlaken || Interlaken Parano

Despite the title of the post, this is not a blog about my recent drug fuelled weekend in Interlaken – that is for a future post. It is however a post about facing some of our fears (and then avoiding them) and finding returning fears that we thought we had left behind in childhood. The city is in the canton of Bern and located on a stretch of land that separates two lakes, Lake Brienz and Lake Thun, hence the name Interlaken – which is German for between lakes. The city is surrounded by the famous mountains Mönch, Jungfrau and Eiger, of North Face fame. All this makes for a lot of sightseeing and hiking.

On a sunny Tuesday morning we set out for Interlaken in the car with Olivia at the helm. After a 2 hour journey we were greeted by the glorious azure blue lakes and the gargantuan mountains. We were staying just outside of Interlaken in a small village called Iseltwald that was right by Lake Brienz – thanks to an Airbnb voucher we managed to stay for just £5! We quickly had a coffee in a nearby hotel and discussed our plans for the day. I should mention we were now in Swiss Germany, which levelled the playing field linguistically between Olivia and myself. And with a danke to the waitress we drove to Interlaken parking up at Interlaken Ost (East) train station, which suggested the city might be quite large – we quickly found out this was not the case. We decided to walk by the river towards a sandwich shop we had found on trip advisor, after 15 minutes we had reached Interlaken West. We ate a sandwich and wandered around the city and visiting Unterseen – a small area in Interlaken. Around 230 we sat down near an area of grass that appeared to be a landing spot for handgliders – there were lots of them. We were peacefully sat there enjoying the setting, when BANG! We jumped up, my thoughts were this is a bomb but why would someone bomb Interlaken, passers-by were laughing at us and said it was just an airplane related noise.This would not be the last thing to incite fear within us both on this trip. We then walked to take the funicular to the top of Harder Kulm (see photo).

Viewing Platform at Harder Kulm || La vue à Harder Kulm

Since we had some time to spare we thought we may walk back down, the signs to walk up said it took two and a half hours, so we figured it would take around an hour and a half to walk down. We purchased a one way ticket to the top, giving us the option to buy a return if the terrain or weather was unfavourable. They looked at Olivias ‘cowboy’ boots and suggested that we did not walk down, but we thought we would just decide once up there. As the funicular climbed the mountainside, my fear of heights heightened too. At the top we were 1,322 metres above sea level, and it certainly felt like it. As you can see from the photo I took from google, it is an acrophobic nightmare! Olivia does not have this fear and was happily strolling around the platform. I did venture to the platform, but since there were a lot of clouds that were supposed to soon clear, we went to the bar to wait. After a stein of beer I was suddenly feeling more confident and managed to take a selfie (see photo), however the clouds were still hanging around.

The Fear is in my Eyes || Les Peurs est dans mes Yeux

On a sunny day it is possible to see glorious mountain vistas, but we weren’t so lucky. The time was now approaching 4pm, and thought that if we were to walk down we should probably go now. We inspected the terrain and it didn’t seem too bad as the people at the train had suggested so we decided to walk down. The route was clearly marked and it was a nice steady walk down with occasional views of the lakes. As we were walking down we could hear a ringing of bells, the more we walked the closer the sound came, we then stumbled across the cause of the noise, some nice Swiss cows with bells on. There were around 2o cows around the footpath, I slowly approached them as I thought they would make a good steak… I mean photo (see cover photo). However, I had noticed that he footsteps behind me had stopped and Olivia was 20 metres away. It was at this moment she announced her irrational fear of cows. This posed a problem as they were blocking almost all routes past, after waiting and traversing off the beaten track we managed to get past them, leaving the bells behind. From the timestamp on the photo I know it was now 630, so it had now been over 2 hours since we had left, so we figured we were nearly back at ground level. Shortly after ‘cowgate’ dusk started to set in and I had to start using the torch on my phone to navigate. Minutes later it was 7 o’clock and pitched black. At first it was funny and I was making jokes about the killer clown sightings, however the mood very quickly changed. In the forest at night it turns out is quite scary the distant cowbells ringing in the distance, our footsteps quickened and our breaths quickened, tripping a few times due to the lack of light. I started to try and remember some survival skills from Ray Mears but none were coming. Finally we had arrived and I breathed a huge sigh of relief because I had not had to eat Olivia. The time now 730, the walk took 3 hours, perhaps we went the wrong way? We quickly found a place to eat and went back to the Airbnb to sleep.

Views of Lake Brienz || Vue de Lac Brienz

The next day we got up early buying supplies from the shop and set out on a hike to a waterfall at Giessbach. The walk was right by the lake (see photo), which looked like a great place to swim in the summer. It was quite a long walk taking photos and geocaching along the way, we even saw a black squirrel. We eventually arrived at the site of the waterfall (see photo), which reached right up into the mountains. We decided we would go to the top and then get the ferry back to Iseltwald. The vertigo then set in again as we climbed the mountainside, but I enjoyed it! There were great view looking back down and we even passed behind a waterfall. However, I drew the line when it got to high and had to let Olivia carry on across the last bridge without me. After we headed back down and took the ferry back.

Giessbach Falls || La cascade de Giessbach

We then decided to pass through Thun and Bern on the way home, before I get to that though I would like to say one more thing. As it turns out my Grandma in one of her only trips abroad actually visited Interlaken (see photos). The first photo is of her and some friends outside the hotel they were staying at which is actually very close to Interlaken West train station. The second is a postcard with a great photo of Interlaken with no clouds and a message from my Grandma to her parents. It was really cool to know that she had also been here and seen many of the same things I had seen and walked the same streets as me.


First stop Thun! After parking up we had a quick stroll around Thun, quite a small place, but rather nice. Olivia’s highlight was finding a shop that only sold cat related items, she bought a doormat, ‘Katzenliehaber’ apparently is German for cat-lover. We then passed by Bern to look at the bears which were being rehoused when I last visited. So what’s the deal with having bears in the city centre? From what I gather, bears are on the cantons coat of arms and this seems to justify it. When I saw the bears they didn’t look too happy, but they have a large enclosure with their own section of river. I managed to take a photo of one of them, the seemed so powerful and strong even from a distance! We then headed home to Nyon, with legs like jelly after walking a great deal. All in all, a good trip, perfect for hiking and adventures!

A Bear in Bern || Un Ours à Berne


Malgré le titre de ce poste, ce n’est pas un poste sur mon récent weekend de prises de drogues dans Interlaken – ce sera pour une autre fois. Cependant c’est un poste qui parle  d’affronter les peurs (et les éviter) et retrouver les peurs que nous avons pensé que nous avions laissé en enfance. La ville est dans le canton de Berne et est située sur une bande de terre qui sépare deux lacs, lac de Brienz et lac de Thoune, d’où le nom Interlaken – c’est allemand pour entre des lacs. La ville est encerclée par les fameuses montagnes– Mönch, Jungfrau et Eiger, de North Face. C’est idéal pour beaucoup de tourisme et randonné.

Un joli mardi matin nous prenons la route pour Interlaken dans la voiture avec Olivia au volant. Après deux heures dans la voiture nous avons vu les magnifiques lacs d’un bleu azur et les montagnes gargantuesques. Nous sommes restés près d’Interlaken dans un petit village qui s’appelle Iseltwald qui est situé à côte du lac Brienz – grâce à un bon d’Airbnb, le prix était juste £5 ! Nous avons rapidement bu un café dans un hôtel et discuté notre plan pour le jour. Je devrais dire que maintenant nous étions en Suisse Allemande, les règles du jeu linguistique entre moi et Olivia étaient uniformisées. Et avec un danke à la serveuse nous avons conduit à Interlaken et garé la voiture à Interlaken Ost (est) gare, ceci insinue que la ville est grande – nous avons rapidement découvert que ce n’est pas le cas. Nous avons décidé de nous promener à côte de la rivière jusqu’a un magasin de sandwich que nous avons trouvé sur trip advisor, après quinze minutes nous avons atteint Interlaken West. Nous avons mangé un sandwich et flâné autour de la ville et sommes allés à Unterseen – une petite zone dans Interlaken. A 2h30 nous nous sommes assis près d’un espace vert, où il y avait beaucoup de parapentistes. Nous étions assis tranquillement et admirions le cadre, quand BOUM ! Nous avons sauté, j’ai pensé «est-ce une bombe ?» et «pourquoi quelqu’un bombarde Interlaken ?», mais c’était juste un avion. Ce n’est pas la dernière chose qui nous effrayait sur ce voyage. Puis nous avons marché pour prendre le funiculaire pour aller en haut de Harder Kulm (voire le photo).

Puisque nous avions du temps libre nous avons pensé que nous allions descendre à pied, les panneaux disent que cela prendrait deux heures et demi, alors nous avons pensé que cela prendrait seulement une heure et demi. Nous avons acheté un aller simple dans cas où  nous voulions descendre à pied. Ils ont regardé les bottes de cow-boy d’Olivia et ont conseillé de ne pas descendre à pied, mais nous avons pensé que nous déciderions quand nous serions en haut. Quand le funiculaire montait ma peur des hauteurs poussait. En haut nous étions 1,322m au dessus du niveau de la mer, bien sur il a semblé comme ça. Comme vous pouvez voire sur la photo de google, c’est un cauchemar pour un acrophobie ! Olivia n’a pas ce problème et elle était contente de marcher sur l’estrade. J’ai marché vers  l’estrade, mais il y avait beaucoup de nuages, donc nous sommes allés au bar pour attendre. Après une grande chope je me suis senti plus confiant et j’ai pris un selfie (voir le photo), mais les nuages étaient là encore.

Quand il y a du soleil c’est possible de voir les montagnes magnifiques, mais nous n’avons pas eu la chance. L’heure approchait 4pm, et nous pensions que si nous allions marcher en bas nous devions aller maintenant. Nous avons vérifié le terrain et il ne semblait pas très mal comme les personnes à la gare nous ont indiqué, alors nous avons décidé de marcher en bas. La route était marquée clairement et c’était une marche sympa avec les fréquentes vues du lac. Quand nous descendions nous avons entendu des cloches, le plus que nous avons marché le plus fort le son, puis nous avons découvert la cause du son, des vaches suisses. Il y avait près de 20 vaches sur la route, lentement je les ai approché parce que j’ai pensé qu’elles feraient un bon repas…photo (voir la photo). Mais, j’ai perçu que les pas derrière moi se sont arrêté et Olivia était 20m de moi. C’est à ce moment qu’elle m’a dit qu’elle a une peur irrationnelle des vaches. C’était un problème parce que les vaches bloquaient toutes les routes, après nous avons attendu nous avons pris une autre route, laissant les cloches derrière. Du timestamp de la photo j’ai su qu’il était 6h30, alors maintenant cela faisait deux heures que nous étions parti, comme ça nous avons pensé que nous étions près de la fin. Après « cowgate » le crépuscule arrivait et j’ai eu besoin d’utiliser la lampe sur mon téléphone pour nous éclairer. Des minutes plus tard c’était 7h et totalement noir. Au début c’était amusant et j’ai fait les blagues des clowns tueurs, cependant l’humeur a changé plus rapide. Dans la foret la nuit c’est tellement effrayant, les cloches des vaches dans la distance, nos pas sont devenus plus rapides et notre souffle aussi, nous avons chuté à cause de la mauvaise lumière. J’ai essayé de me souvenir des techniques de survie de Ray Mears, mais aucune n’est revenue. Finalement nous sommes arrivés et j’ai soufflé un grand soupir de soulagement parce que je n’avais pas besoin de manger Olivia. L’heure était 7h30 la promenade a pris 3h, peut être nous sommes allés dans la mauvaise direction ? Nous avons rapidement trouvé une place pour manger et sommes allés directement à l’Airbnb.

Le prochain jour nous nous sommes réveillés tôt et avons acheté des provisions du magasin et avons randonné vers la cascade de Giessbach. La promenade était à côte du lac (voir la photo), qui a semblé être une bonne place pour nager l’été. C’était une grande promenade nous avons pris des photos et avons fait du geocaching, nous avons vu un écureuil noir quand même ! Eventuellement, nous sommes arrivés à la cascade (voir la photo), qui a atteint le haut des montagnes. Nous avons décidé que nous irions au sommet et prendrions le bateau jusqu’à Iseltwald. Le vertige a arrivé encore avec l’augmentation d’hauteur, mais je l’ai aimé ! Il y avait des vues magnifiques et nous sommes allés derrière une cascade. Cependant, je me suis arrêté au dernier pont et j’ai laissé Olivia continuer d’avancer sans moi. Après nous sommes allés au port pour le bateau.

Puis nous avons décidé de visiter Thoune et Berne lors du voyage à la maison, avant que j’arrive à ça, je voudrais dire une chose de plus. Ma grand-mère dans l’un de ses quelques voyages a l’étranger, elle est allée à Interlaken (voir la photo). La première photo est d’elle et des amies à l’extérieur de l’hôtel dans lequel elles sont restées, en fait l’hôtel est près de la gare d’Interlaken West. La deuxième est une carte postale avec une photo géniale d’Interlaken sans des nuages et un message de ma grand-mère à ses parents. C’est très cool de savoir qu’elle est allée ici aussi et elle a vu la même chose que moi et elle s’est promenée dans les mêmes rues.

Le premier arrêt était Thoune ! Après avoir garer la voiture, nous avons fait une rapide balade autour de Thoune, une petite ville, mais tellement bonne. Le clou d’Olivia était le magasin des chats, où elle a acheté un paillasson. Le magasin s’appelle «katzenliehaber», apparemment c’est allemand pour un amoureux des chats. Puis nous sommes allés à Berne pour regarder les ours, parce que la dernière fois ils etaient à une autre place. Mais pourquoi il y a des ours à Berne ? Je pense que la seule raison est parce que il y a un ours sur le drapeau de Berne. Quand j’ai vu les ours il a semble qu’ils étaient un peu tristes, mais ils ont un grand enclôt avec un rivière. J’étais capable de prendre une photo d’un (voir la photo), ils ont semblé trop fort même d’une grande distance ! Finalement nous sommes allé a Nyon avec les jambes comme de la gelée. Interlaken est une géniale ville avec beaucoup a faire et beaucoup des vus magnifiques !


3 Comments Add yours

  1. Ros says:

    Another great post. Super pics. Very interesting connection with your Gran Vera. Love, Ros and Rog

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks both! Yes it was great with the family connection, if I had known the place she stayed before I would have tried to recreate the photo, but it wasn’t possible unfortunately!


  2. What a wonderful and honest post. We spent half a day in Interlaken as we were staying in Lauterbrunnen and actually missed out on a lot that it has to offer. Hope to return some time again and explore it properly.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s